- There are several payment options available, typically a 60 day time period, spread between 3 separate payments, 1/3 due up front.
- There are no returns on a completed layaway order.
- You have a 10 day grace period from your order date to cancel your layaway for a full refund. If you cancel your layaway after the 10 day grace period, refunds will be subject to a cancellation fee up to 30% of the total price.
- If you do not complete your layaway within 90 days, the order will be canceled and subject to the 30% cancellation fee.
- Hemlock Vintage Clothing reserves the right to cancel a layaway order.
- Communicate and arrange a payment plan that works for you.
Unless otherwise specified, all sales are considered final, but please contact us within 24 hours of receipt if there is a problem with your order. Because our clothing is true vintage, most in ready-to-wear condition, returns are reviewed on a case by case basis for store credit. I am dedicated to providing a detailed condition report and you can trust that the item will be in the condition described. I put care into measuring and preparing the clothing for sale so that there are no surprises.
*Certain items are returnable, no questions asked, and this will be stated in their individual ad. You will see “returnable?: Yes…”.*
- Any inquiries concerning returns must be made within 24 hours of receipt (the item’s delivery), no exceptions.
- Once authorized, returns must be shipped back within 48 hours, no exceptions.
- Ship authorized returns to: Hemlock Vintage, PO BOX 565, New Market, MD 21774 USA
- All refunds are subject to a 20% restocking fee.
- Items must be returned unworn, undamaged and shipped back with care.
- Your return will only be accepted if you follow our return policy and receive authorization to send the item back.
- No returns for the following items:
- Lingerie + swimwear
- Items from the 1940s and earlier
- Layaway orders
- Items marked “final sale”
- International sales (outside of the USA)
- Items that have been worn, damaged and/or do not follow our return guidelines
- Shipping is not refundable.
- Returns which do not follow our return policy will be refused, returned to sender or subject to a restocking fee at our discretion.
- If you do not claim your order from the post office/customs and it is returned to us, your refund may be forfeited.
To insure a smooth transaction:
- If returns are a make or break issue, prior to ordering, ask us if you can return the item for store credit.
- Inquire about size and fit prior to ordering. We can compare your measurements for an honest opinion on fit. We are happy to take additional measurements, provide additional photos, take photos of interior seams, etc…
- Understand that vintage clothing, especially tailored pieces and dresses from the 1950’s, may require minor alterations to fit perfectly, even if the measurements work, so have realistic expectations.
- For folks new to vintage online shopping, we do not rent clothing. Most of our clothing is clean, refurbished and ready to wear.
1. Take your measurements
We advise that every customer learn their measurements. Vintage clothing does not have a consistent set of sizes like clothing today and many pieces are custom-made. Therefore, measure yourself before purchasing and understand that most customers have the clothing altered when necessary. See our section on fit for tips on measuring and understanding sizing. If you are not sure about sizing, send us your measurements and we will help. We will happily supply hem and seam allowances for potential alterations, please email us.
2. Read our FAQs on fit, condition, etc…
3. Contact us with any questions about the item
You can ask us about alterations, the fit, size, color, condition, anything you like.
4. Have realistic expectations
Even if the measurements work, you may have to make minor alterations to achieve a good fit. 1940’s and 50’s dresses and suits, for example, were tailored to fit the person who owned them. We can supply photos of the interior seams and lining and will take any measurements you ask for.
5. Read the return policy
Most online vintage shops do not accept returns, only offer store credit, have a narrow time frame for returns, etc…
- I have been selling vintage online since 1999 and provide accurate descriptions, measurements and photos.
- I am a perfectionist, inspect each item inside and out and give a detailed condition report in the ad.
- Items that can be safely cleaned are cleaned and any issues are repaired.
- We hand or dry clean items, which will be specified in the ad.
- Please note that not all items are cleaned – some vintage items are made of delicate materials, such as silk chiffon, lace and organza, or have delicate decorations, such as beading, and are too risky to dry clean.
- No worries, any issues will be listed in the ad.
- If you have any questions regarding items, please ask. I am more than happy to help.
- The provenance will be included with the item when available.
Please visit the About Us page for more info
Buying vintage clothing requires taking your measurements. There was no size 4 or 10 like today. Clothing in the old days was often custom-made, tailored, and the fabrics lacked stretch. To find the right fit, it is important to know your measurements and, if you are new to purchasing clothing this way, send us your measurements and we will assist. We can help give you a basic idea of the fit before the item is shipped, point out what measurements are important, what cannot be altered and what can. Keep in mind that tailored items and custom 1950’s dresses may require minor alterations to fit perfectly even if the measurements work. Alterations are a part of buying and wearing vintage clothing.
We pay special attention to measurements so that you know exactly what you are receiving.
- All measurements are typically in inches and usually the “flat measurements”, which means the size of the item laid flat.
- In certain cases, it is difficult to find the flat measurements because of an unusual cut and we may approximate the size (such as a stretchy knit) or measure around the interior of the bust and waist (such as a 1950’s dress or an item with complex construction).
- Any approximations will be noted with an “@” symbol, in the case where the clothing is difficult to measure.
Below are guidelines for how to collect your measurements. In some areas, like the hips, leave a little wiggle room when taking measurements.
BUST : Measurement around full part of chest
WAIST : Measurement around waist (usually the natural waistline)
HIPS : Measurement around hips (normally 5-7 inches below the natural waist depending on height)
SHOULDER TO SHOULDER : Measurement between either the shoulder seams or approximate shoulder width (will be specified in ad)
ACROSS BACK : Measurement across shoulder blades from side seam to side seam
LENGTH : Measurement from shoulder or back of neck to bottom hemline
SKIRT LENGTH : Measurement from waistline to bottom hem (this is helpful if you are short or long-waisted – to find length of bodice, subtract this length from the LENGTH measurement)
SLEEVE LENGTH : Measurement from shoulder to cuff
Items are typically ready-to-wear – cleaned, steamed, pressed and repaired. All info, including if and how the item was cleaned, and any flaws will be listed in the condition report. For general condition, below is a chart of the grading system for vintage clothing:
- MINT : Like new.
- NEAR MINT : Worn a couple of times, no issues.
- EXCELLENT : No noticeable issues.
- VERY GOOD : May have a couple of issues in terms of normal wear, but nothing very noticeable and still wearable.
- GOOD : Has noticeable problems, but still wearable.
- COSTUME : Has noticeable problems, but still wearable.
- FAIR : Has noticeable problems, usually not wearable, can be used as a display piece or pattern.
- Most orders ship between 1-3 days of placing your order.
- If you need an order expedited, please leave a note at checkout stating the date you need your order by.
- Only express and overnight shipping methods can guarantee delivery by a certain date.
- Domestic shipping options are USPS First Class, USPS Priority Mail, USPS Priority Express or FedEx Ground.
- Overseas and Canada shipping options are USPS First Class International, USPS Priority International and USPS Express International.
- Please note that international customers are responsible for all taxes, duties and fees.
- If your country is not showing up at checkout, please contact us so that we can make an exception.
- Multi-item orders/combined shipping: please note that the combined shipping cost on multi-item orders will most likely be less than the shopping cart calculation due to varying box sizes and weights. Shipping FedEx for heavier domestic shipments will also mean a decrease in shipping costs. Contact us for real quotes.
Yes! Any item over $100 can be purchased on layaway. Please contact us to setup a payment plan.
I do not have a shop, online only, but you can visit the Baltimore studio by appointment and shop in person (in Hampden, right off 83). Please contact me for more info.